Thursday, May 25, 2006

strumming down memory lane

A recent post by Warehouse Man lists his favorite guitar solos, setting off quite a few two-handed hammer-ons and twang-bar dive-bombs in my brain. I began to list my own favorites off the top of my head. Most of the solos I wrote down had first stunned me back in high school--they still provide chills today. In no particular order:

La Villa Strangiato--Alex Lifeson/Rush
Ritual--Steve Howe/Yes
Kree Nakoorie--Yngwie Malmsteen/Alcatraz
The Fountain of Salmacis--Steve Hackett/Genesis
Three of a Perfect Pair--Adrian Belew/King Crimson
Ship Ahoy--Frank Zappa
Ease--Steve Vai/Public Image Ltd.
The Four Horsemen--Kirk Hammett/Metallica
The Web--Steve Rothery/Marillion
Moisture--Fred Frith/The Residents
Hammond Song--Robert Fripp/The Roches

For those about to shred, lowercase lifestyle salutes you.

No comments: