Thursday, March 16, 2006

theater of the mind revisited

Andrew Listfield on WFMU

I stumbled across this archived radio show while searching for info on composer William Basinski (more on him next time). Listfield's weekly show is a cornucopia of ambient, exotic, trance-inducing music. However, the real treasure is his inclusion of old-time radio dramas from the 40s and 50s.

The particular show I've linked above features an episode of Pat Novak, For Hire, a noirish detective series narrated by Jack Webb of Dragnet fame. Dry humor, sharp dialogue, oddball metaphors galore: this one's got it all.

On many a drunken night, the usual decaying city would serve us up a slab of such vintage radio from his vast vinyl collection. Inevitably, I would fall asleep five minutes in, having had far too many beers to keep my eyes and ears open any longer. Mea culpa, my friend--you were right all along. This is great stuff.

No comments: