Tuesday, February 03, 2009

hello, february

Latest purchases:

14. David Bowie -- Hunky Dory
15. The Autumns -- The Autumns
16. Sparklehorse -- It's a Wonderful Life
17. eels -- blinking lights and other revelations

Before he formed the Eels, E put out two fantastic yet sadly overlooked solo records, A Man Called E and Broken Toy Shop. The latter release is largely about break-ups. In 1994 I was dealing with a short relationship that quickly turned sour and a longer friendship fraught with unrequited desire. Broken Toy Shop became my soundtrack for that emotionally turbulent year.

Blinking Lights may very well become my soundtrack for 2009. I can't put it into words just yet, but this double-disc set is resonating with me in a big way. To me, the main lyrical themes seem to be about accepting the past and opening up to the present and future. In one month I turn forty, and I feel that the second half of my life is on the verge of having begun. And I'm going to be quite all right.

Check out the official Eels channel on YouTube.

No comments: