Tuesday, January 01, 2008

resolution revelation

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about why I failed so miserably at all of my 2007 resolutions. What it comes down to is this: I had vague goals and no clear strategies for achieving them. It's not enough to say that I won't eat fast food--I have to figure out what I'm going to eat in lieu of fast food. It's not enough to say that I'm going to exercise--I have to determine what kinds of exercise, when, and how often.

Variety is going to be essential for me this year. I must vary my meals, vary my exercise, vary my meditations, and so on. When I get bored or fall into a rut, I have the nasty habit of stopping the activity entirely rather than changing the routine just enough to make it satisfying again. This habit must be annihilated.

Happy New Year!

No comments: